Monday, July 17, 2006

 

More books

One of the reasons I decided to keep this blog was to keep track of the books I've bought and/or read. (After all, "he who dies with the most books, wins!")

So, to give an update: I finished Dragon Rider. In the end, it was slightly disappointing. It was entertaining and well written, it just lacked some punch. Kids would probably still like it a lot. It reminded me a bit of the first 3 Harry Potter books. I know some adults liked them, but I didn't become a fan of the series until book 4 (Goblet of Fire); the first 3 books lacked much depth.

After that, I started The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I was really looking forward to this book because I know it won both the Hugo and Nebula awards. Unfortunately, the foul language & some graphic scenes led me to abandon the book fairly quickly. A shame, really, and not something I often do.

[deciding to do some html code for book links]

Next on my list is Mormons and the Bible, by Phillip Barlow. He was an undergraduate mentor to one of the other guys at that Summer Institute conference in Madison last month. Somehow Mormonism came up, and he mentioned that his mentor had been LDS and had written a historical book about the church. Pauline's already read it, and I'm about 1/5 of the way. Seems like an excellent book, with details about how the LDS church has come to its current view on the Bible.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?