Tuesday, January 15, 2008

 

My genius child

Pauline says that since I'm the dad, I'm entitled to brag about Leslie.

Maybe I should have titled this blog entry "My *first* genius child", since Emily is also very, very bright. In fact, since Emily is so outgoing and talkative, it's often easier to see her brightness than it is to see Leslie's. Leslie is much more introspective, and thinks deep thoughts. Leslie's brightness usually comes out in the interesting questions she asks, the interesting connections she makes, and in her highly advanced sense of humor.

Anyway, Leslie took some national standardized tests to gain admittance into the 7th grade middle school gifted program, and we just got the results of the tests back. I was wondering how she would score, because often at home she has trouble focusing on the task at hand and gets easily distracted (she doesn't have ADD that we know, but exhibits some ADD-type behavior).

*drum roll*

She got...(*)

Reading: 99th percentile, 13+ grade level
Writing: 25/30 on a compare contrast persuasive essay
Social Studies: 99th percentile, 13+ grade level
Science: 99th percentile, 13+ grade level
Math Concepts: 95th percentile, 10.8 grade level
Math Problems and Data: 99th percentile, 13+ grade level

Good job, Leslie! If I'm reading those right, she's ready to start college in reading, social studies, science, and in some math areas. :-)


(*) Disclaimer: standardized tests are not really a measure of intellect, blah, blah, and so forth.

Comments:
I always knew she was a smarty pants.
 
I don't know if they do this in Utah, but in Wisconsin I took the SAT in seventh grade and I did well enough to earn... an ice cream sandwich! Not a namby-pamby one from Kwik Trip, a real one with two real cookies and a solid inch of Madison creamery ice cream.

Totally worth the effort in my opinion, and Leslie would be a shoe in. Maybe I could ask her for a referral fee of 10%?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?