Tuesday, May 06, 2008

 

Some nice student comments

I just read the student comments from my Optics course last semester. Here are some of the nice ones. (Most were nice, some were not.)

* ...overall it seemed good.
* The homework was very fair and reasonable. It didn't take too long, but it wasn't too short and it helped learn the material.
* I thought that the homework was reasonable and challenged us well. I thought that the way that the exams flowed from your discussions and the homework was good. I found the exams a good measure of what we had learned.
* Thank you for all the effort you put into this course, Dr. Colton. It was clear that considerable effort and thought went into your preparation for the course and it was appreciated.
* I thought the course was well administered.
* Great course and I learned a lot!
* Great job, I felt it moved at just the right pace.
* Your office was very conveniently located and you were often available. Thank you.
* This was one of the best physics classes I've had.
* The all-inclusive "Colton diffraction lab" was a lot of fun [but too much work].
* I really enjoyed the class. I was a little nervous as I signed up for Optics becuase of the reputation and my lack of E&M. I found the class reasonable. The availability of TA and of the instructor was great. Thank you for a great semester.
* Thanks Dr. Colton. This is the first 400 level class that I have really been able to understand and enjoy. I really felt like the course was divided into manageable pieces.
* Great course. Dr. Colton did a great job (as his first time here?).
* ...I thought you did a good job. Thanks for the effort you put into the class.
* Dr. Colton was very good at taking questions, even when they were a little tangential to the matter at hand. I appreciated his willingness to back up and get back to the basics when I did not understand. His derivations were clear, for the most part, which was a great help. ... Thank you, Dr. Colton, I know you put a lot of time into preparing for this course. It was very hard for me, and I didn't do nearly as well as I would've liked, but you helped me learn a lot.
* I like this class, though it was unusually hard for me....This probably has more to do with my deficiencies as a student than those of the designers/instructors of this course. Dr. Colton seems very reasonable, though.
* One of the best teachers I've had. He is VERY approachable and always willing to help (which I can't say about some teachers in the department). I felt the homework was fair. It was difficult, but didn't take a ridiculous amount of time. For being the first time he's taught this class here at BYU, I thought it was excellent. I would love to take any class from him.
* Maybe a little less derivations and more examples, but great job all around.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?