Sunday, July 20, 2008

 

Summer activities - pictures! (part 6b)

(Final post of the "Summer activities - pictures!" series)

Part 6, cont.: Bryce Canyon National Park

Part 6b. Day 2 - Hike down into the amphitheater

This morning we decided to hike down into the main amphitheater. Good choice! On the one hand, it was amazing to see the massive rock formations up close and personal, towering above us. On the other hand, it was also amazing to see the greenery appearing out of nowhere, and to hear bird calls down at the botton.

You can see part of the path we had to take down to the bottom. We used the "Navajo Trail", which was a loop that took just under an hour and a half. Where's Waldo? Emily and I are hiding in this picture.
I think this was the most outstanding view of the hike, and possibly of the entire trip. We got to the bottom of the dry/dusty/barren hunk of red rock, and suddenly found this tree growing in a crevice. It was very tall! (Emily: "That's the tallest tree I've ever seen!") And not a branch on the tree until the top.

Here's another panorama shot. For intructions on how to view it, if you need them, see the "Cedar Breaks" post.

This was a cool-looking tree, a bristlecone pine, I believe. One weird thing about the hike, though, is that we discovered it's apparently tradition to place stacks of rocks whereever they can be made to balance. I'd estimate that we saw about two hundred stacks of rocks like the two in this picture.
Almost back to the top! The prominent formation in the left center is "Thor's Hammer".

And for the final picture: another panorama. :-) (Again, for intructions on how to view the panorama shots, see the "Cedar Breaks" post.)

Comments:
I LOVED all your pictures. It made me homesick. (I don't know if you remember, but Wade & I are both from Southwestern Utah). Next time you are in Zion's you should do the Subway hike. It is an AWESOME all day hike, with incredible views. I'm pretty sure your girls would do fine with it. I've seen kids as little as five on the hike.

Anyway, sounds like you had a wonderful time.
 
I TOTALLY remember that tree growing up in the middle of the canyon. My dad took us to Bryce when I was about 9...I thought "That's the tree I saw!" Maybe it wasn't. But every instinct I have shouted it was. I love Bryce Canyon. It's just beautiful. Great pictures. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?