Monday, January 12, 2009

 

Student comments

Last week I took some time and read through all the student comments from my Physics 105 end-of-semester ratings. In general it was pretty depressing. I'm sure 80-90% of the comments were positive, but with 600 students, that still leaves about a 100 negative comments.

My numerical rating score was quite high; I got right around the department average score. A class like Physics 105--where the students are taking it because the *have* to, and not because they *want* to--typically scores much lower than average. And one of my research students just told me that an acquaintance of his in the class told him I was the best teacher he had had at BYU so far (he's a junior). :-)

Anyway, it's always humorous when diametrically-opposed comments show up back-to-back. Makes you wonder, "Were these students taking the same class?" Here are some examples:


Comment: Dr. Colton was not very approachable. He seemed to care less than he let on.

Very next comment: Dr. Colton is awesome. He made the class interesting and the concepts easier to understand.

___

Comment: He is amazing at taking charge in class, and respecting students. Tests are amazingly hard, and the homework absorbs all my time to do other things. Amazing teacher, though...He really wants students to learn, and goes to great lengths, I feel, to do so.

Very next comment: Dr. Colton was the worst teacher I have ever had in my 16 years of attending school.

___

Comment: Extremely rude and inconsiderate professor! Has no heart for anyone and can be back-stabbing! The class was horrible.

Very next comment: Dr. Colton is an excellent teacher that has a real desire for his students to really understand the concepts that are discussed.

___

Comment: Dr. Colton is probably the worst teacher I have had a BYU.

Very next comment: Dr. Colton is awesome. He is really a good guy. I wish he was my Uncle.

___


You get the idea. And no, I did not make up the last two, although I probably couldn't have asked for better humor than those two provided. JSC

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?