Sunday, January 31, 2010

 

Summer Pictures, part 8: Yellowstone, day 2

I'm making good progress on these summer pictures! :-)

We rented a cabin in the Grand Canyon area, but didn't actually visit the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone until day 3. On day 2, we drove around the northern loop, stopping at many places along the way.

The first stop was the Mammoth area, in the far northwest corner of the park. It was impressive, but not quite as cool as we expected because there wasn't much water. Pesky drought. You can recognize all the Mammoth pictures because of the chalky white rock formations.




A waterfall! Don't remember which one it was.

There are periodic scenic drives marked, which leave the main road and then rejoin it many miles down the road. We did a few, with varying degrees of success. This particular scenic drive went slowly.
Still on that scenic drive.

OK, back on the main road. This was the "Roaring Mountain" area.

Emily at Roaring Mountain. She's always photogenic.

Two happy campers!

Another waterfall! Did I mention that I like waterfalls? They were probably my favorite part of Yellowstone.

This was the Petrified Tree. Don't recall how old it is.

If you want to know where the Petrified Tree is, here's a map we found in one of the Visitors Centers.

I can't recall exactly where these basalt columns were. You see them across one the valley at one of the major stops along the road. Pauline thought they were really cool.
I think this is the same valley with the basalt columns, but I could be wrong.

And I'm not sure if this is the same valley as that. Serves me right for waiting so long to post these pictures. Nice picture, anyway.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?