Sunday, December 05, 2010

 

The Sing-Off starts tomorrow night!

Here's your reminder, Deanna: The Sing-off starts tomorrow night on NBC.

Here are the groups that are competing:
* Committed (Huntsville, Alabama) - I don't know them, but they sure sounded good in the promo
* Eleventh Hour (Kettering, Ohio) - A high school group, I've actually reviewed two of their albums for RARB: http://rarb.org/reviews/932.html#john-colton, http://rarb.org/reviews/1019.html#john-colton. They are great for a high school group, but I expect them to be one of the first to be eliminated.
* Pitch Slapped (Boston, Massachusetts) - from the Berklee College of Music. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I listened to one of their albums for CARA award judging last year. If I recall correctly, the album was OK, but not one of the very best.
* Groove For Thought (Seattle, Washington) - Don't know them.
* Jerry Lawson & Talk of the Town (Oakland, California) - As mentioned previously, this group is the descendant of the Persuasions, one of the classic doo-wop groups that started in the 1960s. In fact, their most recent album is even listed on the Persuasions' wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Persuasions. I own six Persuasions albums, and am very excited to hear them. In the end, though, I suspect that at age 66, Jerry Lawson might not be as contemporary as today's viewers are going to like.
* Men of Note (Cherry Hill, New Jersey) - Don't know them.
* The Backbeats (Los Angeles, California) - As mentioned, this is a newly formed group with (among others) Courtney from last year's competitor Noteworthy.
* On The Rocks (Eugene, Oregon) - This is the group that sang the Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" version I posted about a month ago. It'll be fun to see them perform that on the Sing Off (it's on the promo).
* Street Corner Symphony (Nashville, Tennessee) - I don't know them, but they sure sounded good in the promo.
* The Whiffenpoofs (New Haven, Connecticut) - This is the oldest collegiate a cappella group in the country, having been founded in 1909. That's 101 years old, this year. I'm not sure what style they sing; quite possibly it's more traditional glee-club-type fare than contemporary a cappella. We'll see!

Comments:
Thanks for the reminder. I think Wiffenpoofs are more traditional glee club stuff, but we'll see. They were the only ones dressed in tuxes...
 
Surprisingly found this on Hulu tonight, so we watched it. My wife will not stop saying, "Whiffenpoofs" randomly and in all manner of accents and voices. I think she thinks it's funny. Interesting show, I'll keep watching.
 
Today on the radio I heard a group "Straight No Chaser" sing a parody of "12 Days of Christmas." It was pretty funny. You can get in touch with your "inner undergraduate."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYEK-pxs_A

They also played the "Christmas Can-Can" on the radio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqonjZ1hMnI
 
Thanks for the reminder, John! I'm really enjoying watching this. You gotta love watching groups like this perform!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?